Thursday, August 18, 2011

Back to School

Well, like it or not...the summer is officially over in our house.  The summer flew by this year, and even Jennifer was asking where it went. I'm not sure if that meant we were really busy or if she is just getting older.  At the beginning of the summer, we always have these dreams of all the things that we want to do over the summer.  And while we got most of them done, there just isn't enough time to do all we want to do... 

And this year, we were supposed to start Aug 1st and our school board changed the calendar to Aug 15th taking away our fall break and winter breaks.  I was SOOO not happy about that decision-as were most of the people from what I understand.  While I really didn't want to go back to school Aug 1st, I REALLY liked the breaks and they fell right around the kid's birthdays which was great. But the greater powers didn't listen to my votes and did what they wanted. 

Even on Aug 15th, neither kid was ready to go back to school. However, Jennifer was more ready than normal because she was so excited about her new adventure.  This was a BIG year for us.  Justin is starting middle school and Jennifer is starting High school.  WOW!!!! That just blows my mind really!  I can't believe that I don't have anyone in preschool or elementary school anymore.  They grow up right before your eyes and its so easy to miss it!!

Justin gets the easy mornings this year, for sure.  He doesn't even have to get up until 8:00.  In our house, middle school starts adding some responsibilities. They have to start getting themselves up and not counting on us to wake them up. They walk themselves to the bus stop each morning watching the clock themselves to keep an eye on the time.  (I don't really like this one but NO middle schooler has their parents walk them sadly). They make their own breakfast and if they want to pack a lunch, they do that as well.  So, basically they don't need us in the mornings and should be self-sufficient.  Jennifer did a great job with it and I expect that Justin will too. 


Jennifer,on the other hand, has the early mornings. We were waiting and waiting on her bus schedule and expecting a 7 am pickup but when the schedule came out it was pickup at 6:32!!!! We about passed out!! Are you kidding me?? Thankfully, we found another bus that picked up about 45 minutes later and we will go to that one.  She will have really long days this year.  Assuming she doesn't stay after school for anything (which will happen sometimes) , she will get home around 6 each evening.  The first day the bus pulled in at 6:02. Whew!! That's a long day!

Justin did great his first day of middle school.  He is already very familiar with the school layout and where things are,so he has a huge advantage over his sister when she started there and his mom(yes I went to the same middle school!!) when I started there.  He was a little nervous, but not bad.  He knew a lot of the kids in his class, and that helped.  And he made a new friend on the first day.  Of course, they change classes and he didn't have any problem finding his classes or opening his locker. Which everyone knows is the biggest deal of middle school -LOCKERS!!  He has all AC classes this year, which will be challenging but I know he will do well.  

Jennifer has a really tough schedule as well. She is in all honors classes this year, and I know she will do great too. And then on top of that, Jennifer will have 2 drama classes and 1 dance class each day.  She had a great first day.  She reported that she LOVED every minute of it except the bus ride home in the afternoon.  She will be on the bus between 2 1/2 -3 hours every day.  She will have to learn to sleep or do homework on the bus, like the other kids do.  She was so excited to start because she is doing what she loves!!  She and her new friend Alexandria had all the same classes together except for one so they could help each other find their way around the campus.  It will be an exciting ride at this school! 

 

No comments: