I really debated this year on not even getting a pumpkin for the first time ever. I know that sounds awful, but I am always the one that has to do all the carving after the kids "work" for about 2 minutes on trying to get those seeds out of there and then they go play and leave me to carve it. Then we are usually not home anyway as we go to our church's Fall Festival, so hardly anyone ever sees it. Now I have to admit, I can carve a pretty mean pumpkin (with the help of a pattern, that is!) but I just didn't want to spend the money on it this year. Times are tough, you know, and it seemed like not a big deal until I mentioned it to the kids. They were very disappointed!! I happened to be at Walmart on the day before Halloween and they had marked their pumpkins down to $3.58. So, I went ahead and got one and figured for $3, I could splurge and make their day. Justin, especially, was thrilled. Then we had to decide what to carve on the pumpkin. We have a couple of books of patterns, but Justin wanted something different than the rest of the family. It seems like this happened last year too, and he had to deal with it. But I felt kinda bad this year for some reason(maybe since it happens every year!) and decided to go back to Walmart and spend another $3 on a pumkin for Justin and he had to carve it himself (with help, of course). So, Halloween day. I raced over to Walmart with the intentions of running in and getting a pumpkin. I looked all over the SUPER Walmart and couldn't find any. Finally, the produce boy told me there were no more. I couldn't believe it-the day before they had probably 4 huge crates/boxes of them. And now I had told Justin I would get him a pumpkin. I went to Publix and looked all over there. There were a few pumpkins left, but they all had faces painted on them-for $11.00!! I didn't want to do that, but thankfully found Publix' s LAST pumpkin and bought it(for more than $3 though!!). It wasn't the prettiest pumpkin in the batch but it made Justin really happy. And this time, he carved it (with some help from Mom & Dad).


So, most of the family wanted to do a funny face. But Justin wanted scarier stuff than that. I tried telling him that having anything scary on my front porch would scare me, so he settled for a spider. I must admit that they both looked pretty good (As far as spiders go, I guess!!)


Pretty cute, huh?? The kids dressed up pretty simple this year. Justin was Chipper Jones from the Atlanta Braves. And Jennifer dressed in some sort of renaissance costume. 

They look cure in whatever they are wearing!! We had a great time and I will post another blog about our church's Fall Festival.
3 comments:
hey....where do you get pumpkin patterns? And how do you get such intricate designs? I'm impressed!
Cindy those are the coolest pumpkins! I can't believe how well they turned out!!!!!!!! I love the costumes too thanks for sharing yuor family memories with me, Karla
Mary, You can get the pumpkin patterns at any store. They usually come in a book with some pumpkin carving tools, which make a WORLD of difference as well. The ones this year didn't turn out as good as in the past, but they were still good.
Karla, I'm glad you were able to drop in and check us out. Drop in anytime!
Post a Comment