Tuesday, May 15, 2012

My first 5K


I don't really know what inspired me to run my first 5K, but I thought it would be a great motivator to train for.  One of my goals for the new year was to start working out everyday Monday through Friday and I figured if I had a goal that would help. 

Starting in January, I woke up around 6:30 every weekday morning and had my quiet time and exercised for about an hour. I took my Christmas money (along with some other saved money) and bought a new treadmill and set the TV up downstairs in the basement so that I could watch Netflix while I exercised.  THAT has made a world of difference!! I am proud to report to you that I kept up the morning routine for the full year.  And Justin even started joining me after school started back in August 2012.   We had the eliptical machine, weight machine, treadmill, bicycle, and most importantly NETFLIX/TV. 

So, I signed up for my first 5K in February -the Guns n Hoses at Hobgood Park to benefit Cherokee County's firefighters or police departments(depending on which team you chose). I chose to be on the hoses team so I got a firefighter shirt.  My friends Tina K. and Wendy M ran with me and it was nice to have them join me.  Everything is more fun with friends, even running.  I told them I wasn't going to run the whole time, but walk/run as best I could. 



It was super cold that morning and Tina jokingly called me while I was on my way and asked if I was picking up the doughnuts. The sad part is....I thought she was serious. 

We started out running together and then Tina left us in the dust after about a mile or so...  Wendy and I stayed together until the end.  The funny part is she is a personal trainer(with bad knees) so I was actually wanting to run more than she was.  But we all crossed the finish line with smiles on our faces.  Tina finished ahead of us and our time was 42.15 minutes. 

Wendy and I went on to run another 5K at Mccleskey Middle School during the summer and did about the same time on that one too. I don't have the exact time on that one, but we ran that with some other friends from church. 

While I was quite proud of myself for actually doing it, I know those times aren't anything to be super proud of.  But we certainly weren't near the end runners.  So, I do think that I should be proud of actually just waking up early to go run....and completing the races. 

No comments: