Bill's brother-in-law Johnny passed away near Christmas 2011 in Oklahoma. Because of the distance and timing, most of the family was unable to attend his funeral.
I did not know him very well as I had only met him once many years ago. But after he passed away, Aunt Carrell decided there was nothing holding her in Oklahoma any longer. So, she decided to move here in March of this year. I knew her better as I had met her several times but still didn't know her very well either. She moved here in March and got settled into her new apartment at Atherton Place in April.
She really adapted well to her new surroundings and home. Her health has improved and she is getting around and making new friends and driving all over and we have all been really pleased at how well she is doing. She really enjoys being around her family and new friends and going and doing things and is keeping busy. And it has been nice to get to know her better. She joined our church immediately upon moving up here, so we go eat sometimes after church. And she enjoys going to plays with Mom and Jennifer and I.
Anyways, she decided that she wanted to have a ceremony for the family remembering Johnny. So, Aunt Carrell and Mom planned a memorial service for him. The service was at our church and it was mostly family with some close church friends. I videotaped the service for her. Denise sang, and Bill spoke along with Aunt Carrell herself. They had a video of his pictures and it was nice to learn who he was and the kind of person he was.
After the service, everyone went to Mom and Bill's house for a cookout. We had a good time hanging out with everyone and then the highlight was the butterfly release. Mom had ordered a bunch of butterflies to release. It was very touching, and we all think of Johnny every time we see a butterfly now.

No comments:
Post a Comment