Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Summer jobs


This summer has been a little weird in the fact that, for the first time, I have had to work around jobs that the kids have had this summer.
Jennifer, of course, was very busy in June with the Little Mermaid play. While rehearsals weren’t too bad, she had performances for 3 weeks on Wednesdays and Saturdays and Sundays.  While she enjoys every minute, it can be hard to work around. 
But her main “job” this summer has been babysitting on a regular basis for our neighbors Chad and Jamie Murphy’s son Connor who is a sweet, smart 8 year old boy. I sold their house this summer so they will be moving and we will really miss them. Jamie helped get me started in real estate when I first started and we were on a team together. We also have walked together many times and enjoyed our time together. While we will still see them occasionally, it won’t be the same.  But, Jennifer has really enjoyed watching Connor this summer and it has helped her to save up toward a school trip to New York.  But, she did have to get up fairly early most days that she babysat.
Justin started learning how to mow the grass and edge and trim and all that stuff. We paid him for doing our yard this summer, but then some of the neighbors have asked him to do their yard as well. So, he has been earning some money this summer as well.  It is hard work and Dad has been helping him while he is learning.  But, I think it has been a very good experience for him.
Both kids having outside jobs was something I didn’t really think about last summer but looking back I should have enjoyed that last summer was probably the last time that I didn’t have to plan around their schedules.  And I should have enjoyed that more!  Because I am sure it will just get worse from here. Which reminds me that our time together is short!

No comments: