
September 11 is here again. I read an absolutely beautifully stated blog from one of my precious friends this morning that she had posted last year on this date. I couldn't say it any better myself, so I requested her permission to copy it on my blog and change some things to make it personal. She granted that permission (Thanks Mary!)so here it is:
I haven't forgotten where I was 8 years ago today.
I haven't forgotten how I was dropping Justin off at the nursery to head to Ladies Bible Study when I heard the news....the Twin Towers were on fire....
I haven't forgotten how I headed to Bible Study with all kinds of questions in my head and then we turned the TV on...and couldn't seem to get enough information to figure it out.
I haven't forgotten how I headed to Bible Study with all kinds of questions in my head and then we turned the TV on...and couldn't seem to get enough information to figure it out.
I haven't forgotten that I watched Good Morning America in disbelief as the skies above the United States were taken hostage.
I haven't forgotten how the news coverage broke away from New York City and went to Washington to cover the crash at the Pentagon......is this REALLY happening?
I haven't forgotten how they interrupted the coverage of the Pentagon to report that there was a plane down in Pennsylvania.....what is going on?
I haven't forgotten the fear that overcame my heart and mind as the news could not confirm how many more planes might be involved.
I haven't forgotten the sick....I mean sick.....feeling that settled in my stomach as I watched the twin towers crumble to the ground.....this doesn't happen in America.
I haven't forgotten how quite all of the ladies were as we watched things unfold in horror. Eventually, our leader just turned the TV off and we prayed....
I haven't forgotten how I just had to call and hear the voices of every member of my family.....I wanted them to know how much I loved them.
I haven't forgotten how thankful I was that my kids were close by and not separated far from me.
I haven't forgotten how thankful I was that my kids were close by and not separated far from me.
I haven't forgotten how thankful I was that Jennifer was only 4 years old and Justin was almost 2 and had no clue what was going on. I had an urge to sit by the TV but didn't want to do it if they were nearby for fear that she would ask questions that I couldn't answer at that point. I was thankful that PBS continued their regular shows.
I haven't forgotten how I could not peel myself away from the TV....I sat there for HOURS and HOURS just watching, praying, crying, grieving.
I haven't forgotten how reporters were stationed outside of hospitals waiting for the injured to arrive.....and they never came.
I haven't forgotten the masses running for dear life.....dusty, injured, hysterical.
I haven't forgotten how we met at our church that night to pray.
I haven't forgotten how no one knew what to pray....we just cried out to God.
I haven't forgotten how I felt so insecure all of a sudden. I turned the house alarm on just to feel safer even though we didn't normally use it.
I haven't forgotten how really quite the skies seemed to be those days that followed where planes were not allowed to fly.
I haven't forgotten how relieved I was when my brother made it home from being in Pittsburgh on a plane that morning and how he rented a car with some co-workers and drove home.
I haven't forgotten how our Nation TOTALLY pulled together.
I haven't forgotten how all the Senators, from both sides of the aisle, stood on the steps of the Capital, hand in hand, and sang God Bless America.
I haven't forgotten that I tried for weeks and weeks to buy an American Flag, but there was none to be had.
I haven't forgotten how people were posting pictures of their missing loved ones all over New York City ....hoping to find them.
I haven't forgotten how personal it felt when we started to learn names, faces, and stories.....my heart was broken.
I haven't forgotten how I recall wondering if there was a line waiting to stand before the Lord? So many people died that morning. Where were they now??I haven't forgotten how I wondered how God could have let this happen?
I haven't forgotten how I asked God, where were You?
I'll never forget how He answered me....
I am in the same place that I was when I sent my Son to the Cross......I am right here..... on My throne, I am in control.
I haven't forgotten the peace that came over my soul....as terrible as it was, I knew it was going to be OK. It was His Peace that passes ALL understanding.
September 11, 2001.....a day I will never forget.

No comments:
Post a Comment