Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Happy New Year

We started out the New Year by sleeping in after a late night at the Koehlers. The boys spent the night at their house and all the older girls came to our house. Even though it was cold, after they woke up at 10, they went to jump on the trampoline. Courtney performed several new "tricks" for the girls, but I was too cold to go take pictures-sorry!

We traded kids back to respective homes and then went to my Mom's for our traditional lunch of blackeye peas for luck and turnip greens for money. This year, she fixed BBQ ribs to go with that along with some other sides. That's some good eating!! We got our share and then some.

After lunch, I did my New Year's tradition of putting my new calender in my organizer. That is always a reflective time looking back on the last year and forward to the new year. I didn't really make any New Year's resolutions this year, but would like to lose weight (of course!) and spend more time with the Lord and in his Word. I also subscribed to a new program on Jan 1st called motivated moms (www.motivatedmoms.com) that I had heard some friends rave about. It only cost $7 for the year so I thought I would try it and see if it would help me be more organized and methodical in cleaning the house. It really is just a list of daily chores for you to do so that you don't have to stop and think about it. It has a little check box to check off when you are done and we all know that I love to check boxes when I am done. It looks like a lot of stuff each day, but I am told that it will take between 30-60 minutes each day and then I am done with the house. We'll see. But, it also includes on your list of things to do a daily bible reading to help you read through the bible in a year. I have never read the entire bible. I have started many times and usually fall out somewhere in Numbers or Deuteronomy. I know, I'm a sorry excuse for a Christian. :( I really should probably try to start with the New Testament and go backwards. But maybe this will help keep me accountable.

After putting my calender in, we played games. Justin got boggle this Christmas and we had a lot of fun with it last night, so we played with MiMi. I won, but Jennifer holds the new record for the longest word found- lottery! 8 points for that word alone!! Way to go Jennifer!!

Then we played Pictureka, which Jennifer got for Christmas. That was a lot of fun too, but I was blowing Mom and Justin away with my keen eyes. See, those blackeye peas were already paying off. We would turn a card over for a picture to find, then they would start looking for the item while I walked out of the breakfast area, into the living room, into the dining room and around the table and then back to the the breakfast area and still found it first several times. Justin ended up winning that game. Way to go Justin!

After game time, Justin, Mom , and I got into their hot tub. It was freezing outside but 101-102 degrees in the warm water. It was very relaxing-I think that was the first time I had gotten in in over a year. I need to do that more often!!!

We spent the whole day over there just hanging out with my parents. We always have fun with them, whether we are at home or away. Mom, we love you and appreciate all the enjoyable times and memories you make for us!! And the food too, of course!!

Happy New Year!! May God bless each of us in 2010!!

No comments: