Tuesday, January 26, 2010

ME??? A Blogger Award???

I received an email after I got back from Nevada/Arizona that totally incapacitated me and my blogging. It was from my sweet friend, Mary from "Thoughts from a Mary heart", who nominated me for a blogging award. Now, I know those of you reading this are cracking up. She deserved the award.. I totally do not and she knows it!! She is one of the two people that got me into this whole blogging thing. I really enjoy following her blog because she is so entertaining and I really get to know their whole sweet family so much better through their blog. But mine is more of a memory/scrapbook for our family memories. Anyways, she has given me this blogging award...so I will accept it with the upmost humility. :)

First of all, I want to thank Mary for this award and encouraging me to start blogging. She even invited me to their house in the beginning to show me how to do some cool stuff. I want to thank my family who give me things to blog about. I even want to thank our cats and dog who occasionally supply me with material.

In continuing the spirit of the award, I am supposed to list 7 things that you may not know about me. This is the part that has paralyzed me for the last 2 weeks and made me not be able to blog at all!! :) So, here goes:

1. I really enjoy dressing up. Not so much like in fancy clothes, although that is fun sometimes too. But more so in costumes where no one knows that it is me inside of there. I particularly enjoy costumes that have characters that cannot talk. Like Winnie the Pooh at Disney World. There are some characters that talk and some that don't-they just use body language. That is the type I prefer. I have been several different characters through the years. The funny thing is that you are constantly having your picture taken. Now, of course, no one can see my face. But, every STINKIN' time I still smile. It is really funny and I find myself laughing at me. But, what can I do??

2. I really enjoy organization and organizing. I love the container store and any store when they have all the bins and drawers and stuff out at this time of year. However, I do not have much time to be organized anymore. :( So, I am normally an unhappy unorganized mess. Which really aggravates me. Maybe I should stop blogging and go organize something. Actually, I spent all day Friday doing just that and got a lot done, but it had to be done.

3. There is something about this time of year that I really hate. I don't like that in January every year, out comes all of these people who stand on the sides of the road dressed like the Statue of Liberty or Abraham Lincoln or whoever and wave at you and want you to stop and do your taxes. I don't like that they stand out there and wave because I feel like if they are waving at me that I have to wave back. They are strangers getting paid to do that and I know it. But I can't stand it and so I always wave back. Once or twice I have decided NOT to wave, but the guilt killed me almost to the point that I had to turn around and drive back by to wave again. I just cannot be mean without a good reason. :)

4. You know my kids love animals if you read my blog. But what you may not know is that we have pet-sat (is that the past tense for pet-sit??)for many different kinds of animals. We have had dogs, cats, birds, fish, ladybugs, turtles, frogs, and even some prehistoric fish type animal. But we have sat for dogs, cats, fish, a crab, a pig (that peed on the carpet while we watched-their house not ours!!!!!) and even a shrimp. The pig weighed over 100 pounds and got out one day and it took all the neighbors to get him back in the house. It was so funny to look out the front door and see a pig walking down the middle of the neighborhood with about 12 neighbors around him. The good news is that we weren't watching him at this point. And the shrimp always seemed a little weird.

5. Speaking of animals... I have always wanted a pet elephant. I could never understand why my parents wouldn't buy me an elephant. We had a back yard to put him in. I think this started because I wanted a horse (or a cow) to ride and they said no. So, I think I went to the elephant and stayed there. I just wanted an animal that I could ride around. I have actually rode two different elephants and loved every minute of it. As an adult, I know they are stinky and dirty but I still think they are kinda cute and would ride one again given the opportunity. However, I no longer WANT a pet elephant.

6. Dale and I have been together for a LONG time. Actually most of our lives. We started dating when I was 15 and he was 17. We did take a break while I was in college and agreed to date other people but we were still seeing each other too. He asked me to marry him in Spain while we were on the beach of the Mediterranean Sea. It actually sounds more romantic than it really was. If you are interested, I will fill you in. We were married the year after I graduated from college.

7. I really love police work. It is in my blood, I guess. My grandfather was a prison guard. My Dad was a volunteer deputy sheriff. I went through the citizens police academy(this is like a 12 week class) and loved EVERY MINUTE of it. My cousin is an FBI agent and when she was in the academy, I would read all her materials when she came to visit. I went out with Cobb County Police Officers on ride-alongs 4 times. I just had to do every shift (7 am-3 pm, 3pm-11 pm, and 11 pm -7 am). Then I went another time just because I enjoyed it so much. I came home and recorded every call we went on and what we did into a tape recorder so that I wouldn't forget anything. I know!! I have a serious problem. I know the police officers probably had no idea that I was having the time of my life when we were issuing tickets, taking drunks to jail, speeding along with the lights and sirens blaring, and going to domestic disputes. But I LOVED LOVED LOVED it. I have taken several handgun classes and am a really good shot, if I don't say so myself. I thought about becoming a FBI agent and even went to a preliminary interview in college but when I found out that you had to leave the state and move to another area to work, I abandoned that idea. There was one point in my life where I was praying for God's will to know whether I should pursue police work or a family. I knew I wouldn't be a mother and a cop at the same time. God blessed me with 2 wonderful children and I am happy with that direction. I am now a volunteer CERT member in Cobb County and am enjoying that very much. I went through the 8 week training for that and we meet once a month for different things. I was actually interviewed on the news a little over a year ago when we were searching for a missing person. I am going to MED OPS training this Saturday and we have a mock tornado disaster coming up. If you are interested in becoming a CERT member, let me know and I will be glad to get you the information. For now, it meets my need to be involved and help my community without too much danger. Also, if I allowed myself to watch all of these police shows, I would be totally hooked. That is exactly why I can't watch even one episode because I know that I would want to watch them and I don't have the time to watch TV.

So, there are 7 things you may not have known about me. Now, I am supposed to nominate 7 creative bloggers with the award. But, honestly, I think most of my friends have already been nominated. I do follow a few blogs of people that I have never met, but they would probably think I am cyber-stalking them if I gave them such a prestigious award without even knowing them-in person anyways. But here are a few:


Donna-"Straight" Talk
Frances-Life on the Vine (She also got me started blogging!)
Chelle- Life is Good

I follow a few other blogs that don't keep them up to date and don't blog on a regular basis-even worse than me, believe it or not! :)


So, here is what you have to do....
--Thank the person who nominated you....that would be ME! And, copy the logo to your blog.
--Link the person who nominated you.
--List 7 things people may not know about you.
--Nominate 7 creative bloggers, post a link to their blogs, and leave a comment for them so they know they have been recognized.

Happy Blogging! :)

1 comment:

Mary said...

YAY!!! Thanks for sharing....and I TOTALLY want to hear your Spanish beach story...oh do tell! :)