Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sharing....

A couple of weeks ago, we were challenged by our children's pastor (who was filling in for our pastor who left for another church) to care for the poor.  Jay did an awesome job explaining why we need to care for the poor and then he had brought in a group called There's hope for the hungry where they explained their mission and organization.  As a church, we are starting to have the group come to our church to distribute food and prayers for anyone who needs it.  Many of our members responded in such a positive way. I had already been planning on going to another location on that day, but was excited to hear that we were going to get to have it at our church.  We didn't have much time to promote it, but we will be doing it the first Wednesday of each month. 

I had wanted to go, but couldn't because of jury duty. But, I heard that we had a great turnout of volunteers and had about 20-25 families come through that day.  Ten people accepted Christ that day-Praise the Lord!!  That is awesome!  I can't wait to participate next month and pray that we will give out more boxes of food, more prayers, and see more people coming to know Jesus and the hope he gives.

I was reminded of something that happened about a week BEFORE Jay's message. Justin came home from school one day and was upstairs for a while. He came downstairs with his backpack from last year-which was still in great shape and could have been used again this year, but I had gotten one on clearance last year and he wanted to use the new one.  He asked me if he could give his backpack to a kid on the bus who didn't have one. I asked him who the kid was and he told me his name. I asked if he was a friend- and he really wasn't. I asked how he knew that the kid didn't have a backpack and he told me that he always carried a Walmart/Kroger/Publix bag with his stuff in it.  I told him he could and that was the end of it.  He never mentioned it again and didn't think that much about it.  About 2 weeks later, I asked him if he gave the kid the backpack and he said that he did. I asked if he was using it, and he said he was. But it was no big deal to Justin.

I know that it is just a backpack, and I really don't know this kid's situation, but I know that God can use something as small as a backpack to touch other people.  I pray that Justin is always on the lookout for people in need and just jumps up to meet their needs and point them to Jesus.  He is an example for me to look at -he is always wanting to give away his money. If he hears us talking about a large bill or that the water bill was really high that month, he will offer to give us his money for the bill. Recently, Justin and a friend were playing soccer in the front yard.  The friend kicked the ball into the window (totally by accident!) and broke our window. They both felt really bad but Justin later offered to give all his money to help pay for the window.  He really does have a sweet sweet spirit that I hope he never loses. 

I love you Justin!! God will use you in big ways!!

No comments: