Monday, November 16, 2009

What a rainy soccer season!











Well, we officially ended our soccer season this weekend. And one word describes it -WET!! Our fields are in a flood plain anyway, so needless to say we haven't been able to play or practice much at all this last 6 weeks.

We had a great coach and BOTH kids had the same coach. It worked out perfectly (thank you Lord!) that this sweet family that we met had a boy Justin's age and a girl Jennifer's age, as well as a 5 yr old girl. Their practices backed up to each other and they even combined some of the practices as well as the end of the year party.

The big notebworthy events for this soccer season, besides the rain, were:

1. Justin made a new friend, Logan.

2. Jennifer moved up a level this year to U14. This was quite a jump as the games are much longer, like an hour and a half and the fields are MUCH bigger. I believe they are full size fields.

3. Jennifer played goalie this year. She played every game for at least half the game and sometimes the full game. She chose this position and really enjoys it! But it makes me really nervous, for several reasons.

4. Justin's boys team did not win ONE game this season. :( But, they played really hard and came a long way with the little bit of practice they had. At the end of the season, they were playing SO much better together.

5. Jennifer's team was really pretty good. I'm not sure what their record was, but they tied 2, I believe and won several.

6. I made a new friend with the coach's wife, who we seem to have a lot in common. I look forward to getting to know her better.



At the end of the year party, we went to the VARSITY for dinner. After all the rainouts, we had to have a place indoors. :) Coach Dave presented all the kids with a certificate and bragged on each one publicly, which I thought was very nice. The kids enjoyed guessing who he was talking about when he was describing each child. Justin got the award for 110% effort. Yeah Justin!! And Jennifer got the award for best goalie. Yeah Jennifer!!

I am proud of both kids this season. I don't think I had any complaining and they were disappointed when practices were cancelled. They practiced here some with each other in the front yard. Jennifer taught Justin some of the skills that she has learned and even helped "coach" a little bit with Lauren and Coach Dave for the boys team. Justin had a GREAT time playing with Logan and several other boys during the girls practice and games. It was so good for him to have BOYS to play with. Our neighborhood only has little girls to play with and it drives him crazy. They roughhoused, rolled down hills, played in dirt, and chased each other. So, overall it was an awesome season, despite the rain.

No comments: