This has really been a weird summer for our family. Mostly in that we haven’t done our “normal” summer stuff as much as normal. I think this is mainly because:
Jennifer was working this summer – she was babysitting almost everyday for our neighbors from 9-noon each day Mon-Friday
My work has been crazy busy this summer as well .I have been working most days. I have had more closings this summer than ever before, which is a praise but also meant a lot of days and nights spent working.
This summer has been pretty cool and very rainy, therefore limiting how many times we have needed to go swimming or been able to go swimming. I think it was July 20 and the big news of the day was that it might hit 90 for the second time this year in Atlanta. If you live in Atlanta, normally the news would be that it might NOT hit 90 by that time of the season. We have also had record rainfall this year with it raining almost everyday it seemed.
And lastly with my broken thumb. That has really limited what I could do.
Normally, we swim and hang out with the Koehlers. But Mrs. Tina started working full time this year, so we didn’t have as many invites to the Koehler pool.
I really think it has been a combination of all these factors that have resulted in a weird summer for us.
Normally, we spend a LOT of time in the water during the summer. We really haven’t been swimming that much this summer. I had only had my swimsuit on twice this year to go to White Water (Which we normally do about once a week) and had not really been swimming until we went on vacation in late July.
We did get a season pass to SIX Flags AND White Water this summer for ALL of us for the first time. We have been to Six Flags a few times (Where I officially sat and didn’t ride anything except Monster Plantation and felt like an official old person- I mean really…who goes to Six Flags and doesn’t ride anything? Old people!!) Thankfully, I had my broken thumb to help offset the old feeling since I really couldn’t ride most of the bigger rides but STILL!! I took the Koehler kids and we let the boys go ride some rides and the girls went and rode some rides. We all stayed together through lunch then everyone kind of went their separate ways.
As far as white Water, we were never able to go with our friends (that we normally go with) because everyone was so busy this season. We went 3 times I think- once with just my kids, once with Brandon, and then we used our free tickets to take Kellie and the triplets for a day of fun in the sun. And the weirdest thing happened that afternoon – the park lost all electricity and everything shut down. The boys were almost ready to leave anyway so we just all left.
The kids did help with VBS This year. Jennifer led a group of 3 girls around as a team leader and Justin helped Mimi in the kitchen. Everyone raved about how much help Justin was and Jennifer did a great job in her role as well. We had 2 professions of faith -PRAISE GOD!!! AND THEY WERE BOTH IN JENNIFER’S GROUP!! Way to go God!!! And so proud of Jennifer for being a part of their decision!! She didn’t even tell me about it… I found out from my Sunday School teacher on Sunday. I thank God that both kids were willing to be a part of VBS and leading kids toward Christ!! Jennifer was off babysitting work that week so we planned to do several fun things, like White Water and Six Flags and we had to leave the parks early to go to VBS each night, but there was no complaints.
Jennifer also participated in Ultimate Adventure as a drama leader again. This consisted of a camp one week during the summer and then every Wed night as well. She takes her job very seriously, and I am proud of the way she loves the kids and the kids love her.
Speaking of her and the kids, the kids she has babysat for this summer are Veda and Amit. They live down the street and are 11 and 8 years and they have been really easy to take care of. It has been a big help for their parents as this is the first summer they have been home alone. Jennifer is there for them half the day and then they are alone another few hours before the parents come home. She has been working and saving up for a new car!
Jennifer has had another very busy summer between all of her activities. She has also participated in another play with Elm Street this summer – Beauty and the Beast. SO, of course that comes with many rehearsals and hours spent at the theater preparing. However, it has been a huge help having her able to drive herself to rehearsals at the theatre or church this summer. She has also been participating in TAG – Teen actor's guild and was recently voted in as one of the officers for the upcoming year.
Justin has spent a lot of hours improving his video game skills this summer, and relaxing and sleeping in. I have told him to enjoy it while he can!! He has helped out by cutting the grass and doing some chores in the house as well, but this has definitely been the laziest summer ever for him with all of us working so much.
But, as always it has gone by really fast. We are preparing to go back to school next week, and saying goodbye to summer already. BOO!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment