Monday, August 17, 2009

Tomatos finally!!

Normally I plant tomatoes every Spring. We all love a fresh homegrown tomato(well, except Justin!) and Dale will only eat "real" tomatoes. I usually do them in containers in the back yard and have experimented with different locations. And it is not unusual for me and Bill to compete to see who has the first tomato of the season, the prettiest, etc.

With the new puppy this year, we discovered that tomato plants are poisonous to dogs. Since Jake chews anything and everything, I thought I would not be able to have any tomato plants this Summer, but Bill came to my rescue. Secretly, I think he enjoys the competition! So, he suggested that I try one of the topsy turvy tomatoes this year. He gave us one of his buckets and drilled holes in it. Mom even hung it for me. Although, I did plant the tomatoes myself. We had to hang it high enough where Jake couldn't get to it, but we could. The location turned out ideal. It was very easy to water it in the location where it was.

But it was VERY slow to have any tomatoes. Finally, last week we got our first tomatoes off of it. But they were beauties!!
There are 4 plants there and I got 5 tomatoes last week. There are a couple of more that I need to pick today, but I have a feeling that will be it. Oh well, at least I got some pretty maters and am looking forward to a tomato sandwich for lunch today.. And, I think mine might have worked better than Bill's Hehe!

No comments: