As part of my CERT training, we are offered classes occasionally where they need our assistance in something.
I have been invited to participate in the storm spotter class a few times now, but finally had the time work out for me to attend. So, yesterday I went to the class and left an officially certified storm spotter. Basically, we had training by one of the head meteorologists at the Natl Weather Center in Peachtree City.
I learned a lot of interesting stuff during the class but will admit there were times when I thought I was in meteorology class and things were going over my head-just like the clouds we were studying. The main things we concentrated on were spotting tornadoes.
Cobb County has revised its guidelines in the last year so that now in order to sound the sirens, a tornado has to be spotted by a TRAINED CERTIFIED storm spotter. Well, that is me now. There were about 50 others in the class, and some were firefighters and paramedics so don't be alarmed that Cobb's Emergency management is resting on my shoulders or anything....because it is NOT!! But, I think the knowledge will help me to know what to look for in the event of severe weather.
If they predict severe weather, they may activate the storm spotters to be on the lookout. If you do not have a NOAA radio, I suggest that you get one. The other day ours went off and it was a beautiful day with blue skies. I thought that was strange but they were warning us about severe weather that evening. And they were right!! And they even mentioned that they were activating storm spotters.
We were reminded that we all need NOAA radios because the sirens are made to alert people that are outside only. We can't really hear them inside our house when it storms so it is good to have something that can warn you.
I learned a lot of weird terms and words, but hope and pray that I never have to use the information. I really prefer to see them in pictures and videos only.

No comments:
Post a Comment