Saturday, August 7, 2010

Start of school

Well, I knew that Summer would be short this year. And I knew that I wouldn't be ready for the kids to go back to school so early....And I knew that the kids wouldn't be ready to go back either....

But it happens anyway.  Thanks to Cobb County's budget crisis, the calendar was revised from 180 days to 175 days. So instead of starting on Monday like originally scheduled, we got 3 extra days at the beginning of the school year and will get out 2 days earlier at the end.  And I mean it sincerely...thank you Cobb County!!  We enjoyed our extra 3 days immensely and made the most of every day!!

On Monday, we slept in and went to a CFT yearbook party where we got to see all our CFT friends and unveil the first yearbook.  Then Tina, Dana, and I took the older girls to see Eclipse which they have all been dying to see.  Justin spent the day with Blake swimming at his new pool and seeing his new house. 

On Tuesday, we went to White Water with Dana, Jordan, Jessica, Jessica's friend, Courtney, Brandon, Jennifer, Justin, Cris(my next door neighbor) and her 2 daughters.  We hadn't used our free White Water tickets so Cris and the girls joined us at the last minute. They had fun and I am glad they got to go.  We had 9 kids to keep up with that day, but no problems whatsoever.  Our kids have been there so often, that they are totally comfortable there.  Cris wasn't used to keeping up with so many kids, but she hung in there with us since it was only her second time there.

Then we left early and came home and showered for Sneak-a-peak at the kids schools.  Jennifer wasn't too thrilled with her home room. She got a great teacher but is in the annex, so that didn't excite her. But it was fine. 

Justin didn't get the teacher he wanted, but he got a good teacher. He ended up with the same teacher that Jennifer had when she was in 5th grade, and the assistant teacher was his assistant last year and Jennifer's assistant teacher in the 5th grade too.  So, this is our 3rd year with her.  Justin's two best friends are not in his class this year, so we are praying for some new friends for him. 

Then we came home and checked our school supplies. Here are the kids with most of them(although not all!)

Then that evening, I had a CERT meeting where we had another mock disaster.  Thankfully this time I was a victim and not a responder because it is MUCH easier being a victim than a responder. And after the full day I had had, I could handle laying on the floor for a while moaning. :)

So, I picked up Chick-fil-a and headed into the meeting hoping that I could eat while others were made up with their wounds. I did wonder what it said about me that I could eat while looking at people with head injuries, a leg that had been torn off, an arm with a bone sticking out where the arm used to be, and blood everywhere.  Of course, knowing that it is fake makes a world of difference...even though it looks real. But the people are smiling and not screaming in pain...at least until the exercise starts. 

I was assigned to be a critical patient this time in that I was supposed to have rebar sticking out of my chest and in shock. They were supposed to tag me immediate and probably leave me to die, since they could only transport one person.


Luckily, my moulage person decided to do rebar out of my neck. So, she started making my wound while I was trying to finish my sandwich.  She got the "rebar" on and it was sticking way out. Then the gore expert came and made it yucky looking.  I couldn't see it but could tell that it was grossing everyone out.  Everyone said it looked "great".  When I got up and walked away, it fell off though. So, I had to go back to them and start over. This time they decided that I would have a plastic knife sticking out of my neck. This worked better and stuck the whole time.  Although it was still hard to move with a knife in your neck.  The exercise went pretty well, and they almost transported me -I had one responder really feeling sorry for me- but the leader made the right decision and transported another man to the ambulance. 

Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures but pictures were made by others so I am waiting for them to appear on the website.  My injury and blood was removed very quickly. Its amazing how fast we can clean up a disaster site (in practice anyways!)

On Wednesday, we headed to Six Flags for the day with the Koehlers and Hills.  It was a super hot day with a heat advisory. It was supposed to feel like 105 degrees in the shade. UGH!!  But we stayed there from opening to closing and had a great time.  Thanks to Mary for the ticket for Justin!!  For the first time, the older girls went off for a little while by themselves in a group of 5. Jordan and Courtney had brought a friend, so they all had a blast together.  So again, we had 9 kids to keep up with. We stayed together most of the day, but went our separate ways at some points. 

Then Thursday, School started. :(

Summer was over....and we weren't ready.

We still had fun stuff we hadn't done.....

But the kids got up with no problems...

And started 5th grade...



And started eighth grade:


Both of them are the "Seniors" of their schools, so it should be a good, fun year for both of them.  Their first day went fine. Jennifer came home excited about her Spanish class-which she LOVES!! Justin didn't have anything super exciting to report but said his day was good. 

After the kids left for school, I took Jake to get him groomed. He was well past due after so much fun this summer at the lake. 

I took him to a new place, where they even brushed his teeth. I thought he looked so super cute when I picked him up and he smelled so good!!


The house was super quite and I got a lot of work done while everyone was gone. I am playing catchup with all of my jobs, so I stayed super busy. But I started with cleaning the kitchen, laundry, vacuuming the house, and clearing the bar off.  Then I could get to work!!

While I was NOT looking forward to school starting so early....

I AM looking forward to having a week off next month....

and that will make it worthwhile in the end!

I pray both kids have a wonderful school year!!

1 comment:

Mary said...

you will LOVE the new schedule...and the fall break...it is the BEST...even better than a "longer" summer. ;) Glad they had good first days...and a good last week of summer.