Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentines Day 2008

I hope everyone has had a wonderful day filled with love from several sources. This year, we decided to teach the kids about the 5 love languages and how differently love can be expressed in different ways. I explained during the week that Saturday was reserved for showing love to each other. There are 5 love languages:
1. Giving Gifts
2. Physical Touch
3. Acts of Service
4. Quality Time
5. Words of Affirmation

I told the kids about each one and explained that everyone was going to pick 4 out of the 5 ways and show love to each person in the family. So, I have been busy "showing love" to everyone most of the day. The only thing that I wasn't able to complete today was Dale's act of service (I am going to clean and organize his office-that's a job!!). I will have to get to it this week. The kids still have a couple of things to do, but for the most part, it was a huge success. I think it went over very well and they learned a valuable love lesson which their future girlfriends/boyfriends or husband/wife may thank me for one day. I am looking forward to my 30 minute back scratch. Justin and I spent some "quality time" at the mall. Jennifer and I (and Jake!) spent some "quality time" at Petsmart-that was her choice not mine! In the end, I Think everyone felt very loved. We ended the day by grilling some steaks and having a candelight dinner in the dining room where everyone shared what they loved about each other. It was interesting to hear what the others said. Then we all did the 5 love languages quiz to find out which ones were most important to us. I think we all had a different primary love language. Interesting! Then I had picked up some dessert at our favorite restaurant and we shared that. The steaks were out of this world, but the conversations were priceless.
Mom gave me this set of measuring spoons that I thought was really cool:
On the spoons it said, "A Pinch of Patience," "A Dash of Kindness," "A Spoonful of Laughter" and "A Heap of Love."I thought it was so perfect. That is exactly what it takes to have a happy Household. That, and a lot of prayer never hurt either!!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Look at you, Cindy...so creative! Love it!