Friday, October 9, 2009

The flu-on his BIRTHDAY!!



The next morning was Justin's Birthday. He was fortunate enough to be out of school for his birthday and got to sleep in due to the floods. They were actually out of school 2 days. We had a birthday breakfast of chocolate muffins.
We had spent the night before making cupcakes for his class today. In between the flooding issues and trying to get Jennifer to her audition in the middle of all of it, we were baking cupcakes. I let the kids help frost them. Also, because Justin has 25 kids and 3 teachers in his class, we had to make 2 boxes worth of cupcakes. They looked and smelled so yummy!!

Later that day, Justin started running a small fever and had a sore throat. Because of the flu going around and us leaving for a cruise in 3 short days, I immediately called the doctor and had him in there(via the BACK door!!) in 30 minutes flat. He tested negative for Strep but positive for the flu(which she assumed was the H1N1 since that was what was going around at the time). We were at the doctor's office at Justin's birth time(big deal at our house!) but then left there and started the search for the Tamiflu. The first drugstore told us there was nationwide backorder. The second place told us there were 2 places in town that had it, but they weren't close by. Luckily, the first place had called another store and they saved us some. So, we headed to the third drug store chasing the WONDER-DRUG!! This stuff works miracles!! Thankfully, Justin got Tamiflu for his Birthday!! And felt better that evening!

Needless to say, we couldn't go out to eat for Justin's birthday. Honestly, I can't even remember what we ended up doing for his birthday evening-thus the reason to blog on a timely basis!! But I do remember that he was the only one that could eat a cupcake, since I had no idea which ones he had frosted and which ones she had frosted. Trust me, it pained me to throw away 46 yummy cupcakes but I couldn't risk anyone else getting sick and started praying that no one else got sick. IF Dale or I had gotten the flu, we would not have been able to board the cruiseship and we found out later that our travel insurance would not have covered it because they classify it as an epidemic. I am just SOOO thankful that God protected the rest of us.. The thought did cross my mind that if I did get sick, I would rather be isolated in my balcony stateroom ordering room service and sleeping than being stuck missing the cruise, at home, having to worry about heating my own soup. How sad is that!!

Justin opened the gifts from his Mimi and Papa, and got the game he had been wanting so he was able to play his game while he was stuck at home for a couple of days. Luckily, he didn't miss any school as he was fever-free for 24 hours on Thursday morning and able to go back with the rest of the kids.

Justin's birthday didn't go anything like planned but he did have a fun party the weekend before which I will share in another post. And I am so thankful that God gave me this little fellow 10 years ago!! Love ya Justin!!

No comments: