Friday, October 9, 2009

What a week! Floods, flu, and finding time to pack

September turned into quite a busy month for us. Sorry I didn't have much time to post.

But the week of Justin's birthday was unexpectedly busy. On Monday, Sept 21, it was raining and raining and raining. I think we received 15 inches of rain in a 24 hour period. Dale and I went to Walmart that morning and it started raining REALLY hard for a LONG time. It was raining so bad at Walmart that no one was going in or out. They actually had the doors locked because the rain was coming in them. We were able to get out and home and saw how much Noonday creek had risen just since we went in Walmart.

They actually sent the kids home from school early that day because the roads were starting to flood. Jennifer made it home first and was so shocked at Chastain lake overflowing onto the road that she talked Dale into going to see it. It was at this point, that we realized how bad it had gotten since we traveled home from Walmart a couple of hours before this.
This is Bells Ferry Rd near our house and Chastain Lakes overflowing. We realized that the bus would not be able to go through there any longer and wondered how Justin was going to get home. We debated about going to get him, but by the time we got there, he would be getting on the bus and I wasn't sure that Dale & Jennifer would be able to make it home. Let's just say that Justin's busdriver was aware(she's great BTW) and they went around the world to get him home the only way that they could have gotten here (via the expressway!!) . Bells Ferry Rd was closed both ways, whether you turned left or right.

I know many people that had trouble getting home that day. I heard stories of 4 hours for some people. Luckily, we were able to relax a little once we were all home. Except for the fact that we had water coming in the basement and a roof leak on the top level. We were unable to figure out where the leak came from even though we were in the attic for quite a while.

The videos and pictures from that day and the next are amazing. I am sure most people have seen the damage at this point, but here is an example. There were parts of our county that were destroyed. We know people who had 4 feet of water in their house. The kid's soccer fields were destroyed. They still haven't been able to practice on the fields 3 weeks later.

That is the top of the soccer goal that you can see sticking out of the water. Six Flags was under water.
It was a crazy time!! My office had water up to the door, and messed up the keyless entry system and knocked our internet off. I think at one point, we counted like 152 roads in Cobb County that were closed.

As a CERT member, we were requested to help in several different areas, but I was not able to activate at this time. :( Mom & Bill were on vacation and their basement flooded as well, so they had to come home and start the cleanup. She was able to help several single Moms whose house was impacted and then feed some of the people who were involved in the cleanup efforts.

We were able to get our basement cleaned up pretty well, but it prompted me to start cleaning the basement (Which was NOT on the list of things to do before I left for vacation!!). Luckily, we didn't suffer any major losses but our hearts go out to those who lost valuable items, not to mention cars and houses, and pets.

I will post more later...

1 comment:

Mary said...

Ummm...what about the flu??