Tuesday, December 15, 2009

It's FINALLY beginning to look a lot like Christmas

This past weekend, we FINALLY got our Christmas decorations out. I wanted to do it before-I have NEVER waited this late- but knew I didn't have a chunk of time to work on it and didn't want to look at boxes and stuff everywhere while we couldn't finish it. With Jennifer's play, she was at the theater every night that week and honestly, I wasn't sure how Jake was going to do with all the decorations out.

So, I planned on doing it Saturday. Then a friend called and we were only able meet them on Saturday, so that was out. I will have a separate post for that night. So, we aimed for Friday and since I knew I wouldn't be able to devote the whole day to it, finishing on Saturday.

Jennifer ended up being slightly under the weather, so she stayed home with me on Friday. We finally got the boxes from the basement after Justin got home. All but the tree box-WAY too big! So, we got most of the decorations out on Friday night. Dale brought the tree up and we decorated it Saturday morning. Everyone pitched in and helped clean and we had the house decorated inside and cleaned up in order for our company on Saturday night. I am so thankful that we were able to get it done and then I was able to enjoy a clean, pretty house on Sunday.

On Sunday, I had the most relaxing day I have had in a long time. We went to church, and had the nursery. We had 5 very sweet babies to love on this morning. Then we picked up Subway for lunch and I actually watched TV all afternoon. This hardly ever happens. It was a yucky day outside but inside was nice and cozy. I got my electric throw and layed on the couch, where I could see the Christmas tree with my magazine while I halfway watched part of the Falcons game. Then I had been trying to see the movie Twilight for a long time, so I finally watched that. I had seen part of it before but I kept falling asleep last time (but it was 2:30 in the morning-what can I expect??). Then, we watched the original HOME ALONE movie. This was the first Christmas movie we have watched this year. How sad is that!! We had a lazy afternoon, for sure.

Sunday evening, we went to our church's Christmas musical production. They did an excellent job!! The sanctuary looked beautiful, the singers and band members looked beautiful and the kids looked beautiful! They had the kids dressed in robes come on stage and sing one song and they did a great job. It really got us in the Christmas spirit. They had a little drama part with a grandpa reading the Christmas story to the kids. And there was even snow!! The whole evening was top notch. Mom brought Papa's friend Herb and I think he got a lot out of it too.

Oh and one last note, Jake has done pretty good overall this weekend. He actually lay down with us on Sunday some on his big bed between us. And he hasn't bothered the decorations too much. He will go up to the tree and follow the reflection of the lights on the carpet as our tree rotates, but he hasn't messed with it yet. And we only found one shepherd and one sheep in his mouth all weekend-but not at the same time. :) Don't worry-they are VERY durable but he did get in lots of trouble for that. We certainly can't have him chewing on the manger, now can we??

Here are some pictures that I took while we decorated:


This is baby Jesus in front of the tree in his manger. He always shows up when we get the decorations out so that he can be a part of all the festivities during his birthday. And please note the bulb already laying on the floor from the cats-ugh!!
Here is how Jake chases the lights as they reflect off the carpet.
The cats LOVE when we put the tree up. This is when we were almost done. Patches is on the tree skirt underneath the tree taking a catnap and Sam is in front of baby Jesus. Well, he was surrounded by animals that night, right??

Dale doesn't do a whole lot of hanging the ornaments on the tree. He gets the tree out, helps with the lights(and loved it when I bought a pre-lit tree!), helps fluff it some and hangs the decorations that are specifically his on there. He also puts the tree topper on when we are done. This year we used the cross, but it didn't really want to stand up straight.
Look how big Jake is!! He is almost as big as Jennifer when they are stretched out!
We did have to put his gentle leader on this weekend, which might explain the good behavior. What am I saying?? It did. It's amazing the difference when he is wearing it.

Sam likes to chase the garland while I decorate the stairs

No comments: