Saturday, January 24, 2009

Crazy with coconuts

Over the Christmas break, the kids wanted to have a luau with some neighbors. We bought some coconuts and pineapple at the store, but the luau didn't happen during the break. We ate the pineapple but hadn't done anything with the coconuts. The kids really wanted to taste the milk in there, but I really couldn't figure out how to get the things open. So, I decided we would have a coconut cracking contest. We had a lot of housework to do so that Saturday, so we each had a list of things to clean. Dale was glad to be out of town for business at this point! We each worked hard on our list and had our coconut cracking contest after snack. I told both kids to get what they wanted to use to open it and meet me on the back porch. Jennifer brought a mallet and a rock.
Justin came with nothing but an idea. Jake couldn't figure out the coconuts so he just barked at them.
I said go and Jennifer started hammering away. No luck. She was just bouncing the thing.
Justin was just watching her. When I reminded him that it was a contest, he realized he was supposed to be working on his. He went to the rail, threw it on the concrete and boom...coconut open, contest over. Needless to say, he won, but didn't get to taste the milk. Jennifer and a neighbor tasted her coconut though.We then went back to cleaning and then stopped at 6:00 and ordered pizza and called it quits. We had a spa-night for all 3 of us. After dinner, we all got in the tub and enjoyed a jacuzzi bath. Jennifer had wanted some hot tea so I fixed her some of that and served it while she was in the tub with candlelights and her cats. She was in heaven. Justin had never had a bath by candlelight but I didn't want him to be left out, so he jumped in the tub and I made some chocolate chip cookies for him and surprised him with those while he was in the tub. He decided this was pretty nice. Both kids also were presented with towels hot out of the dryer to dry off with. This is always a special treat!! I treated them very special, but they really deserved it after working so hard. Then Jennifer and I took turns giving each other massages and using her "girly" lotions and stuff before heading to bed. We got a ton of work done and had a lot of fun also.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: