I know that my little girl is not so little anymore, and I know that there will be blessings and difficulties at every age and stage. I know they can't stay little forever, and we probably wouldn't want that anyway.
It's just that time goes by so fast. Everyone told me it would. And I really tried to cherish every "age and stage". While some of my friends couldn't wait for their babies to stop nursing, I never wanted to rush it. I knew it would happen soon enough. While others longed for the days of no diapers, it made me (a little) sad when there were no more diapers. Don't get me wrong-I didn't enjoy changing dirty diapers! And I loved that they could go to the bathroom by themselves, and flush the toilet "like a big girl/boy" but I knew it was the end to another era. One that we could never go back to and change or relive.
I loved the days of going to the playgrounds. We all loved going to the playgrounds. One day, we took some friends and hit parks all over Atlanta. I loved wearing them out and seeing them sleep in their carseats on the way home.
Regardless, time marches on. This was a reminder to me this week.

Jennifer has been "into" American Girl" for several years now. When she first started getting interested in "American Girl", I almost choked when I saw how much their dolls cost. I really didn't think she would ever get a doll, but she could read the books. They were wholesome and she loved reading them. Then she asked for a doll {gasp}. You are talking right around $100 for a doll- a doll!! It doesn't even talk or ride a bike or clean your room or anything. Well, we decided that if all the grandparents and us went in together, we could (and would) get her the doll for her birthday one year. She was thrilled when she received Samantha! Then I told her that was it-no more dolls! But of course, Samantha needed a friend (Especially while Jennifer was at school!) and Samantha's best friend is Nellie-another American Girl doll-which cost another $100. I told her that we would not be buying another American Girl doll. No way-not going to happen. She understood.....so she asked Santa to bring it to her. Which he did, of course. Jennifer enjoyed her dolls immensely for quite a while. Actually, in reality, I would say we got our money's worth out of those dolls. They slept with her and even went on vacations and trips with us sometimes.
We have seen all of the American Girl movies. They are really sweet movies for really sweet girls. We even have most of them on DVD.
Then she wanted the American Girl magazine subscription. I thought this was a great thing. So, for Christmas several years in a row, she received a subscription from us and she looked forward to getting the magazine each time. Then this came in the mail the other day (see above). It reminded that she didn't ask for a renewal this Christmas. As a matter of fact, she didn't seem to be looking as forward to each issue as before. And, now that Mimi and her decorated her new room, the dolls have been moved to the basement in a box. Wow! I really haven't asked her if she wanted to renew it -I think I am afraid of her answer. And I don't want to hear it. And I don't want to face it. It's the end of another era -the American Girl era- where innocence is a key component.
I know it happens, but I don't have to like it! :)
Ecclesiastes 3
A Time for Everything
1 There is a time for everything,and a season for every activity under heaven:
2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.
2 comments:
Hey maybe it is just time for another CHILD!! No reason those dolls should grow dusty in the basement. Hmmmmmmm...I wonder where I could find you a 3 or 4 year old without a mommy and daddy, much less a $100 doll?!?!
Ok I won't keep you in suspense any longer:
http://www.waitingchildreninchina.blogspot.com/
Go ahead and take a peek, I dare you!
Post a Comment