Thursday, February 25, 2010

Things that go bump in the night

Every night before Dale and I go to bed, we put the pets to bed too. The cats are usually laying on Jennifer's bed while she sleeps. The dog is usually snoozing beside me. We never have to look for the dog since he is right there with you. But sometimes we have to look for the cats, especially if we are going to bed late. A few weeks ago, it was time to go to bed, so I put the dog in his crate and then found one of the cats and put him in the laundry room(their room), but couldn't find the other cat. I thought they were together so I had already turned the lights on the main level off and then realized that one cat was missing. So, I searched upstairs and didn't see him and came back down to the main level. Now keep in mind, that I am already half asleep by this time. It was very late and I had already stayed up way too long. I walk into the dark living room where I see a lump on the dark couch and think it is the cat. As I go to turn the light on though, I hear a "Hoooooo...hoooooo" really loud IN the room. This was definitely not a cat noise and definitely in the room. I quickly flipped the light on to find the couch lump was a blanket not a cat. There was no cat to be found. But then I had a new mystery. What was that noise?? Then it happened again and I was able to solve the mystery. It was an owl-hooting down our chimney!! Talk about scary sounding -IN your house late at night in the dark when you are not expecting it!! Since then, Mr. Owl has returned MANY nights. He must have a nest in there or something-I don't know. But he really likes to hang out at our place and hoot. Now, it doesn't scare me of course. As a matter of fact, I can hear him over the TV and even upstairs while I am trying to go to sleep. I can even tell when he is there before he starts hooting occasionally-don't ask me how-please.

Then on another totally separate occasion, I was going to the van to pick Jennifer up from Drama practice. We have been having a problem with the light on our garage door opener with it working sometimes and not working sometimes. We have another light in there, but it doesn't turn off and on automatically like the other one is supposed to. So, as I walked out the door and pressed the button for the garage door to open, the light did not come on. I stood there and debated about whether I should turn the other one on~ but then it would be on the whole time I was gone and that would be wasting electricity and money. So, I made the decision to just walk to the car in the dark. No big deal, right? I mean , the van is big and right in front of me. So, just put your hand on the car and follow it around to the door was my thinking. And that worked really well....until I got to the driver's door where all of a sudden I heard....

POP!!
PPOPPPP!!
PPPPOOOOOOOPP!!
POPP!!!
PPOOOP!!

It sounded like a gun being fired to me.... in the dark....trying to get in my car...in my own garage!!

Obviously, I was trying to get in the van as quickly as possible to figure out what in the world was going on. Only to find out, that in my lightless adventure to my car....


I had stepped on bubble wrap!! When I told Dale the story, he said "yeah, I saw that over there and wondered why it was there". Well, obviously to give me a heart attack.

And while we are on this topic, I have to share on oldie but a goodie.

Several years ago, Dale was working out of town for a while. He would come home on weekends, but during the week, we were home alone. Now, I am not normally a scaredy cat, I assure you. But this particular night, I awoke at 3 am to something falling on the main level with a loud noise and then something rolling and rolling and rolling. It sounded like someone might have knocked something over and tried to grab it and kept pushing it and tried to grab it again and kept pushing it farther away. Whatever it was, the sound just kept going. I was really scared!! Dale wasn't home and I laid in bed deciding what to do. I couldn't just ignore this. But it had really scared me so I really had to go to the bathroom really bad. I knew I had to go check it out, but I HAD to go to the bathroom first, and "they" (the bad guys) would hear me even if I didn't flush the toilet. I couldn't let "them" know I was up and coming after them, could I? I finally decided that I better get up and get the gun (which yes ,I have been trained to shoot on several occasions) and sneak to the bathroom where I would hope and pray they didn't come upstairs after me or my kids while I was sitting on the toilet!! How embarrassing would that be?!? I was able to finish "my business" and sneak to check on the kids. They were both safe, thank God!! Then I headed downstairs...with my gun....in the dark.... (just as an FYI, this is the only time I have ever had to pull the gun out with the intention on using it if I needed to)

Well, we have all seen the cop shows so I knew how to hold the gun and sneak downstairs and go around corners into rooms with my back against the wall of course. Oh, the things we learn on TV!! Well, I went around to every room and finally found the culprit. I flipped all the lights on and thankfully there was no "bad guy" in my house. We had a pet bird at the time. And for whatever reason, his water bottle had fallen of his cage in the middle of the night and scared him (and me!!!) half to death!!! Which resulted in him flying around like crazy-hitting the sides of his cage and bouncing off both ends of his cage. The more the water bottle rolled,the more he flew and the longer the noise lasted. He normally slept all night with no problems, so he didn't ever wake us up. And I am sure if he had his choice, he wouldn't have woken me up that night. But, in the end...we were all okay and no one got shot that night. :) Needless to say, it took me quite a while to go back to sleep, while I lay awake wondering if I should invest in some Depends for times like that. :)

No comments: