Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Summer reading

It seems that our author of the summer is Rick Riordan for our family. Justin always struggles with finding books that interest him, but he has lucked out this summer. The Hills lent Justin the book “the Lightning Thief” since Jackie enjoyed it so much. They thought he would like it too. And they were right!!


He read the first book very quickly and then went into the second book. He was taking his book with him places. And I can’t tell you how it thrilled me to see him read. He even took it to White Water two times. One day we were walking back into White Water with the Koehlers after our lunch picnic and he asked if he could just sit and read for a while. I smiled but really struggled with how to answer him. On the one hand, we were at WHITE WATER with tons of fun things to do and one of his best friends. We were there to play and have fun with our friends, for crying out loud! But on the other hand, how often does my son request to READ rather than do anything else?? I should probably let him read while he wants to!! He ended up playing for a while and then reading for a while. Dana said Jackie did the same thing when she was reading it.

We told the kids that they couldn’t watch the movie “Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief” until they finished the first book. So, Jennifer started reading book 1 and didn’t stop until she got done with book 5. She reads super fast and enjoyed the books so much that she couldn’t put them down either. She read the whole series in about 2 weeks! And she didn’t like the way it ended so SHE is writing book 6. She has already gotten the prologue and a couple of chapters written. Justin is on book 4 now.

This is a picture I snapped of him last night after I sent him upstairs to get a shower. I saw him sitting at the bottom of the stairs…not showering…but reading!

They both agreed that the movie was very good, but the book was way better!! We have told them that is usually the case, but it’s nice to prove it every now and then!

The other series by the same author that Justin started reading and enjoyed was “39 clues”. A neighbor let him borrow that one and he read it pretty quickly.

For the first time ever this year, we didn’t participate in the Six Flags reading event to get a Six Flags ticket. Jennifer is too old to participate but she reads all the time so I don’t have to worry about her. Justin, on the other hand, had to read 6 hours to get his ticket. I left it up to him this year and he chose not to participate. I told him he wouldn’t get to go to six flags if he didn’t read his 6 hours, but he made his choice. So, once summer came and his friends started going to Six Flags, he wanted to go. We all reminded him when commercials came on that he should have read for his ticket. He complained that he didn’t have anything to read at the time, but he did now. So, I made a deal with him that if he read SEVEN hours he might be able to go, he corrected and said “I only have to read six hours”. I told him that it was six hours in the spring but the price had gone up now and to get a ticket he would have to read SEVEN hours. He smirked but accepted the challenge and earned his ticket in a week!! Now, we just have to find time to get there before school starts!!

No comments: